FactSet was founded in 1978 and has been publicly held since 1996. The Company is dual listed on the New York Stock Exchange and the NASDAQ Stock Market under the symbol “FDS.” Fiscal 2016 marked the Company’s 38th year of operation, its 36th consecutive year of revenue growth and its 20th consecutive year of earnings growth as a public company.
As of August 31, 2016, FactSet has a market capitalization of $7.12 billion, which is up 9.5% over last year. The Company currently has 43 office locations in 21 countries employing more than 8,500 individuals. In March 2016, FactSet was ranked #89 on Fortune’s “100 Best Companies to Work For”, marking the Company’s eighth appearance on the list in the last nine years. FactSet was also recognized as one of the UK’s “Best Workplaces” by the Great Place to Work® Institute UK for the eighth consecutive year, and included in the “2016 Best Places to Work in France” list for the fifth consecutive year. In addition, the Company was awarded the Best Research and Analytics tool at the 2016 Systems in the City Awards, and the Best Overall Provider, Best Research Provider, and Best Analytics Provider at the 2016 Inside Market Data Awards.
Since becoming a public company in 1996, FactSet has evolved from a US-centric software firm into a global company generating approximately a third of its revenues from clients outside the US. Through technological proficiency, a dedicated workforce, and an unwavering commitment to client service, the Company has driven revenue and earnings per share to new heights, as well as increased its international presence, and ultimately, its competitive edge.
2016 Financial Highlights
Fiscal 2016 was another successful year for FactSet as it attained record levels of revenues, operating income, net income, and diluted earnings per share.
- ASV was $1.15 billion at August 31, 2016, up 8.8% organically from the prior year.
- Revenue reached $1.13 billion, an increase of 9.9% over the prior year.
- As of August 31, 2016, the Company has 3,092 clients and 65,655 users.
- Diluted EPS, excluding the gain from the sale of the Market Metrics business, rose to $6.18.
- Free cash flow totaled $283.4 million, up $2.6 million from last year.
- FactSet returned $431.0 million to stockholders in the form of share repurchases and dividends, an increase of 33.5% over the prior year.
- The Company completed the strategic acquisition of Portware in October 2015.
- FactSet sold its Market Metrics business in July 2016 and recognized an after-tax gain of $81.7 million.
2016 Product and Content Innovation
- Our robust analytics solutions have been the cornerstone of our growth in the middle office. Over the last year we have expanded our offering of analytics, models, stress testing, and client reporting.
- Our commitment to technology, high-quality fixed income, and risk analytics presents a compelling solution to clients, providing continuity and unique features in the market. In addition, we continue to diversify and innovate with more enterprise analytical solutions across our clients’ workflows.
- The acquisition of Portware was a critical component of our strategy to better serve traders and the front office by more fully supporting the buy-side workflow.
- With the onset of more complex regulations globally, clients are looking for help. FactSet is prepared with a thoughtful, comprehensive regulatory-compliant solution for their research needs thanks to our investment in expanding our Research Management Solutions with the acquisition of Code Red in fiscal 2015 and the fruition of our integration.
- We completed the integration of the ETF.com asset purchase, which provides our clients with a rich database of US ETF fund flows, reference data, and analytics. There are now 29 ETFs in the marketplace based upon FactSet content; over 40 benchmarks and the first FactSet-branded ETF, the SPDR FactSet Innovative Technology ETF, launched in January.